Saturday, August 27, 2011

Say What?!

While I’m waiting to steal John’s pictures from our adventures with the Moffats last weekend, I’m going to tell you about my week.

First, I got to assist Chef Della with the ice creams and sorbets class. Remember when I had that class? Yeah, it was pretty awesome. And as an intern, I got to brush up on ice cream again and even come up with my own side project!

Enter genius idea to replicate my favoritest ice cream from Baskin Robbins EVER: Pralines and Cream. It’s pretty basic, but I tried candying pecans for the first time…and then toasting them. And they were soooo tasty…it’s a good thing I ended up with too much…because we kept snacking on them. I also made my own caramel sauce to add as my vanilla ice cream (flavored with REAL vanilla beans) as it came out of the ice cream machine. Add delicious toasted, candied pecans and BAM! My very own pralines and cream. And yes, I totally knocked Baskin Robbins out of the water.

Ignore the plastic spoon. I had scooped my ice cream and realized ALL our spoons were in the dishwasher, so I grabbed a plastic one. I would NOT be deprived of my indulgence. But it doesn’t look so good in the picture…oh well. ;)
100_4992

Not a bad job, eh? If you’ve ever had it and know what it looks like, whaddya think?

I was also working on a cool project for Chef Della. Sometimes the school’s sponsors send the school products to test out and send feedback to the company. The latest product was 22 different gelato flavorings. And there were some interesting flavors. Like red velvet (which came out a strange magenta color) and apple pie (which smelled like potpourri). But the vanilla bean was good and some of the fruit flavors were alright. The lemon gelato reminded me of gatorade though… So I got to make large quantities of gelato. :) I usually made about 4 different flavors a day and so we had gelato with lunch almost everyday last week. And I still have a few to go!

A singing gorilla also showed up on Thursday. Whaa..? Yes, you read that right. A singing gorilla. In a tutu. It was my fellow intern Julia’s birthday, and her parents arranged for a singing telegram to be sent to her during lunch. It was insane. And since it’s too big to email to her, I told her I’d put the video I took up here for all to see :)

It’s 5 minutes long...(he just kept going and going!) so you don’t have to watch the whole thing, but I know Julia’s mom wants to see it ;)

Crazy, huh? We all had a pretty good laugh.

And that was pretty much my week! I’m working a continuing education class next week and that should be crazy busy. I’m so excited for Labor Day weekend! ;)

No comments: