Saturday, November 26, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!! - And A New Friend

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I know we sure did. We stayed in bed until 9 (super late for us!) and it was so nice to know we didn’t have to run off to go run errands and we didn’t have to be anywhere that morning. When we finally got up and going, we chatted with the parental units, which was very nice. John’s grandparents were at his parent’s place, so we got to talk to them a little bit too. Gotta love Skype.

Then came the great heavy cream quest. We were invited to have Thanksgiving dinner with a family in our ward so I of course offered to bring the dessert. It’s just what I do ;) I had found a delicious looking recipe for chocolate chip cookie dough fudge that I really wanted to try, so that was the plan. I had looked at the recipe a few weeks ago and I thought I had everything that I needed, but when I looked again that morning, I had no heavy cream! Fine, no problem, we live right behind a Jewel Osco, and John was going over anyway to pick up some stuff for the scouts’ Thanksgiving campout. A few minutes after he’d gone though, he called me and told me they were COMPLETELY OUT of heavy cream! I was so disappointed! I had a back up plan, so it would have been fine, but I really wanted to try the recipe this weekend. John came back and suggested we try another Jewel. So we did. And THEY were out of heavy cream too! So we tried the super Target. Closed. We tried the Walgreens. They don’t carry heavy cream. Finally, we tried a grocery store called Tony’s that I go to to get my produce. I was power walking in there and John was joking that we had to hurry so no one takes the last one! Turns out, we get to the dairy section and there was one. carton. left. In the verrrrrry back! John had to shake the shelf a little to get it within reaching distance. I clutched that last carton of cream close as we waited in the express checkout line for 20 minutes (did I mention that it was INSANE over there?!). We finally got to the checkout and the cashier, laughing, asks “You waited all this time for that one thing?”. “YES.”

We got home and I made my fudge. And the because I wanted some, I made some peanut butter rice krispies. And I had some cookies from the big cookie project at work leftover that I’d brought home, so I decided to take those to dinner too. And lastly, I threw in some caramels that I had made to practice for a consulting gig I’d had last weekend. I think our hosts got more than they bargained for when they said I could bring dessert ;)
100_5099I brought some bacon (yes, bacon) oat chocolate chip cookies (back right), some chocolate cherry almond chunk (left) and some apricot rosemary shortbread cookies (front right)
100_5102And my fudge was great! (I know, it better be, after all that work for that stinkin’ 1/2 cup of cream!!)
100_5107Oh yes…and my peanut butter rice krispies. I seriously love these. They used to sell these periodically at the creamery on 9th at BYU and every time I saw them, I always got one (or two…) I couldn’t find a recipe for the longest time, and then I found it on Pinterest! Oh pinterest, what did I do without you!?
100_5111

We had a lovely time with our friends for Thanksgiving and had yummy food and played games and quoted Brian Reagan endlessly. It was so fun :)

Friday morning I was up to do some shopping!!!! I scored some great deals too, but I can’t really tell you about them because they were on Christmas presents. Just know that they were awesome deals ;) But one of my most exciting purchases was my new food processor!!!!! My in-laws had given me a gift card to Williams and Sonoma back in June as a graduation gift and I had gone and gotten a juicer attachment for my KitchenAid, but didn’t really know what else I wanted. So I waited. Then, I decided I wanted a food processor. So I waited some more, because I knew that black Friday would be the best day to go. And I was right!! They were having a sale on all kitchen electrics! So I scored my sweet new 11-Cup Cuisinart food processor! Say hello to my newest kitchen friend!
100_5112Beautiful, yes?
100_5115

So of course, then I wanted to, you know, “process” something. So this morning when I did a little grocery shopping, I intentionally bought brick cheese so that I could shred it in my new toy. Ta da!! Beautifully shredded cheese. :)
100_5117

It’s actually very exciting, I promise ;)

So it’s been a busy weekend. John is at a campout for scouts and left yesterday afternoon, so I’ve been left to my own devices (I believe I have shared my feelings on scout campouts during the holidays to lots of you already…so I won’t go there for now) but I’ve gotten a lot done. I cleaned the apartment and finally got to work on some crafts I’ve been holding on the back burner. I got some vinyl done for some Christmas gifts and I made a tree skirt! An adorable RUFFLY one :) I got the idea from pinterest. (Have I mentioned I LOVE pinterest?!) Pictures to come because we actually got a real(fake) tree this year and I’m so excited to decorate! So I’ll get the full effect for you once we’ve decorated. It turned out super cute, even if it did take me several hours. Maybe I just like to torture myself, but the instructions online said it was a “no-sew” ruffled tree skirt, but I guess I just didn’t think that the hot gluing method would last a couple of years, so I turned it into a “yes-sew” ruffled tree skirt. So it took forever. ;) And when I decided to finish off one of my rough edges by hot gluing some ribbon on there, I decided I was glad that I didn’t hot glue the whole thing, because that one round of ribbon took a ton of glue! But I’m excited to show you pictures because I LOVE the way it turned out!

Today I’m trying to get some stuff done for the ward Christmas party NEXT weekend! Eek! John and I are on the Christmas party planning committee. I’ve really enjoyed it, but I hope I can get everything done! I’m also making a turkey. Yeah. I know. But before we were invited to Thanksgiving dinner, I bought a turkey thinking we’d have a big turkey dinner and live off leftovers for a week ;) So now I have a 10lb turkey in my fridge that I am going to make today. And have no idea how. Working on that still, because my mom doesn’t really make turkey, and so she had lame “turkey secrets” to share. ;) So we’ll see how it goes! Wish me luck!

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know I have been feeling so grateful for my family, my wonderful husband and my Savior Jesus Christ. I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the holiday weekend!

No comments: