“Over the bounding main…
Wherever the stormy wind shall blow till we come home again!”
Good news: We got to go sailing with my family this weekend
Bad news: It wasn’t really sailing. It was record breaking hot with no wind…so no sail.
Minor details, if you ask me. I’ll still tell you we went sailing ;) Even if we did happen to go on the hottest. day. ever. There was even an ozone alert. So bad air quality AND record breaking temperatures!!! So what did we do? We went OUTSIDE on a boat. John had looked up the weather and predicted temperatures for the day of our trip and told me that with the heat index, it would probably feel like 110 degrees. I calmly responded “We are going to die.”
So we went anyway.
But the boys (namely John and my Dad) wanted to go soooooo bad. So we did. And we put on our happy faces. Our happy, hot, dripping sweaty faces. And to be fancy, we had dinner on the boat and called it a cruise. It’s all in the advertising, am I right? ;)
Anyway, even in the sweltering, suffocating heat (you think I’m kidding?!), we still managed to have a good time. We went out on the Sea Scouts boat, coordinated and ‘captained’ by a guy in my parent’s old ward who works with the Sea Scouts.
So Saturday we got all the food ready and made our way out to the Potomac River, to a little dock where our boat was waiting for us (I personally didn’t know what it would look like). As we made our way over, the first boat we saw was this:And I thought, “all right!! this might not be so bad!!” (in terms of heat and losing my entire weight in sweat). Then my Mom pointed out that our boat was on the left. This one:
And so I resigned myself to dying of heat exhaustion. ;) We got everything loaded up into the boat and soon got underway.
Exploring the boat – John was so excited!
A little bitty cabin where we put the food, but no one stayed down there very long. If possible, it was even hotter down there!
Once we got moving, the breeze from the boat moving really helped, so the trip really wasn’t that bad. No really. ;) We even got to help drive!
Do not break his concentration…
We had a very tasty dinner of grilled steaks, roasted potatoes, corn on the cob and salad – probably the best boat food ever! ;)
Taking his steering responsibilities very seriously ;)
I’ll just have to ask you now to excuse my wild bangs in all of these pictures…my hair was a little crazy with the wind…
Thanks to Dom Bee for taking us out! :)
We even got my sister to drive! She was a little nervous, but she did just fine.
And I think she enjoyed it…at least a little…despite this face she has on all the pictures we have of her at the wheel… ;)
John was seriously loving our boat trip!
At the end of the day, my brother got to ‘park’ the boat at the dock! He did a great job!
He’s a total pro now :)
By the time we docked and unloaded, the weather actually wasn’t too bad! (figures) So to cool off, we went to our new favorite frozen yogurt place, Sweet Frog for some very yummy frozen dessert flavors. I got raspberry pomegranate…may or may not have changed my life it was so good. Complete with sour gummi worms. A great ending to a fun trip!
But let’s pick a different day next time, okay? Like…June through August is off limits. ;)
1 comment:
Love your bangs girlfriend!!! Thanks for helping me with my hot and happy face during the trip ;)
Post a Comment