Saturday, February 7, 2015

Maxi Skirt Mania

So I really wish I’d know about the awesomeness that is the maxi skirt when I was pregnant with Nathan. I think for most of that time I wore the same stretchy black skirt every week to church with a different top and it got really boring. And tight. ;) I finally bought my first maxi a few months after Nathan was born. I got some birthday money for clothes and bought an adorable black and white chevron one. Then later in the winter I bought a taupe and black striped one. And I LOVE them! They are so comfy, and they are great year round!

So with this pregnancy I definitely started wearing my maxis to church every week pretty quick – I mean, I was having to use the hair-tie-to-button-up-your-jeans trick at like, 9 weeks. Oof. But I was, admittedly, getting kind of bored of wearing the same two outfits every week – because that’s all I can fit into right now… (I know, I sound a little vain, but I really like a variety in my wardrobe, am I the only one that gets into a fashion slump wearing the same few things all the time?) so after finding some easy peasy tutorials on Pinterest, I figured I would take a shot at making a new one.

I found some turquoise knit fabric at JoAnn’s that I loved for $5.99/yd (AND it was 40% off!) so I grabbed 2 yards for around $7 and whipped up a skirt in less than 2 hours! It was so easy! It was also my first time sewing with knits, but I didn’t have too many problems. Luckily, my machine came with a ballpoint needle and though I had to adjust the tension on my sewing machine, after a few trial-and-error runs with my scraps, it wasn’t much different than sewing with other cotton fabrics. I can’t really link to a tutorial that I used, I actually ended up just using my taupe/black striped skirt as a pattern, but made it a little bit bigger to accommodate my growing bump. And I lurrrrve it!

So naturally, I wanted to make another one. ;) Back to JoAnn’s I went and found this adorable red with white stripes knit and then I bought some plain black knit – I figured I should at least have a plain black one, as it would be the most versatile. Whipped those babies up in about 2 hours and voila! My new maxi collection!

IMG_6966The red striped fabric was a little more on the pricey side, but I managed to get it with a sale. The solids were much cheaper and are a little see-through, but that’s nothing a little slip underneath won’t fix!
IMG_6967

Now I guess I can pack up my sewing machine for the move… ;)

No comments: