Monday, September 13, 2010

Pastillage – Week 3

Wow! I’m already up here and it’s Monday! But don’t think I’m going to be able to keep you updated this often! It gets to crazy around here for me now! ;) (and yes, I love it this way)

But this week we’re working on pastillage and sugar molding. Pastillage is a sugar play dough that hardens when it dries. By Friday, we’re supposed to have something that looks like this (showpiece courtesy of Chef Scott):

100_1542
100_1543I KNOW! It’s gonna be AWESOME if I can survive making all the pieces!! My pastillage was a little dry and my pastillage with gycerin was a little lumpy, but we’re going to get through this. We started with the base and the petals to the flower today. Our base isn’t going to look as cool with the nifty cut out in Chef Scott’s showpiece because the right molds hadn’t come in yet. Oh well. Here’s what we’ve done:

  This is all pressed sugar. I still wouldn’t eat it though ;)100_1544

Here are my flower petals, all nicely resting to dry :) 100_1545
Tomorrow we have leaves, spiky stems and pebbles (those are the black things in the middle-ish area). By Friday we’ll each have our own showpiece built and that is our first real test! Eek! Wish me luck!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is sugar?!?!?! that's crazy. Ashley I am super duper impressed;)