Or an update of sorts ;)
The Weather
I came back from Branson to 70-80 degree weather. WHAT happened to spring?! I was really looking forward to my favorite 50-60 degree spring/fall weather. I think we’ve skipped spring entirely. Boo. I have so many cute light jackets I can’t wear unless I want to experience a fashionable heat stroke. No thanks.
*Update: When I was writing this post yesterday, it really was almost 80 degrees out. Today it has been raining almost all day and it’s back down to a lovely 63 degrees (according to the thermostat in here). I can open the windows again! Thank you rain!!!*
We have really loved this apartment we’re in but John and I are kind of glad to leave now that it’s getting warmer. Why? Because we don’t have central AC. This place was PERFECT for winter – the complex paid heating! Not so much for summer spring. We have a window unit in the office/dining room and with the way that the apartment is laid out, the bedroom is the hottest room in the apartment. yuck. We HATE sleeping hot. So we have come up with several ways to try to keep the bedroom cool. We close all the doors to other rooms so that the air can only go to one half of the apartment. But we had one entry to the living room with no door. Enter “The Barrier”
I basically stacked boxes and tubs we have hanging around and draped an old sheet over it all to keep the air from going into the living room.
Classy, I know. Our apartment is getting increasingly chaotic as the move gets closer. My barrier hasn’t done a whole lot in improving the temperature in the bedroom, but there is a slight difference. As in, enough of a difference for me to be happy to leave it up, blocking the doorway. The funny thing is that there is a random door hanging out in the basement where our extra storage unit is. I can’t even tell you how tempted I was to just take that up with me instead of my boxes ;)
Fun on a Budget
I am telling you, I love good deals. And free stuff. That’s even better. But I’m feeling pretty awesome because of some super deals we’ve gotten for some really awesome schtuff!
1. We got to see our friend Summer in a production of Legally Blonde at the Marriott Resort in Lincolnshire. (by the way, she’s like totally famous to me because she plays Queen Esther in the Liken the Scriptures series – so cool!) Because you know, “we know her” she got us discounted tickets! The show was super cute and it was fun to see her in it. Thanks again Summer!
2. Okay. Even though I fully recognize that candy has nothing to do with Easter, every year around Easter time, I eagerly await the arrival of starburst jellybeans in the stores. Love them. Don’t love their price tag. So I was super excited when I found a coupon deal to get them $1/bag! YES!…so I got 6 bags. What?! I might need that many… ;)
3. Best deal this week – FREE admission for two to the Brookfield Zoo! John has a comp day that won’t transfer over to his new job, so he’s taking a day off next week so we can go to the zoo! How did I accomplish this feat, you ask? The library! They have passes you can check out that are good for 7 days to different museums and cultural centers in the area, so I scored a pass that gets us both in FREE! Love the library!!! Loooooove me some free stuff! Can’t wait to go see all the animals!
Cupcakes
I had some leftover raspberry and lemon filling from the Relief Society birthday cake, so I decided to make some filled cupcakes.
Just kidding. ;)
But in all seriousness (ha!) I tried making filled cupcakes for the first time ever. I baked my cupcakes and then used a round cookie cutter to cut out the inside
What happened to the middles, you ask? I present:
Okay, so maybe you can’t tell in the picture, but they looked like tater tots. And were strangely addicting.
Anyway, I just piped the filling in there and then topped it with buttercream. Yum! They turned out pretty good! John had two when he got home yesterday. I need to get rid of these FAST :)Yeah, my cake recipe makes 3 1/2 dozen cupcakes (I managed to give some away to my ESL peeps)…I’m now looking for willing eaters. Apply within. You think I’m kidding, don’t you ;)
And I guess that’s it for now. Counting down the days until we move!!! :)
1 comment:
I want some!!! YUM!
Post a Comment