Sunday, October 14, 2012

Thoughts on Being a Bottomless Pit

While my pregnancy symptoms might have taken a turn for the worse in the past week (COME ON 2nd trimester!!!!) one symptom that remains is being hungry. All. The. Time. Like I’ve connected with my inner teenage boy, though I’d like to see how a teenage boy deals with being hungry AND nauseous at the same time. Talk about being at war with yourself.

For the most part, as long as I stay ahead of the hunger, I keep the nausea at bay. Except for when my tummy doesn’t like what I ate. Like the cantaloupe two Fridays ago. Or the leftover pot roast yesterday. And THEN my tummy has the nerve to growl at me less than 10 minutes later, demanding that I eat something. Well excuse me but you’re the one who didn’t want to keep what I ate down! (yes sometimes I say that out loud, talking to my stomach – I know, I spend waaaay too much time by myself ;) Then it’s saltines for the rest of the day, until tummy and I are on good terms again.

But anywho…this being hungry all the time thing has certainly taken some getting used to.  I wanted to write some of this down because the people that I’ve told this to think it’s pretty funny, so I figure it’s worth blogging about and remembering years down the road. Because I have REAL posterity to think about now!! ;)

So. Being a bottomless pit. This is a new thing for me. When the hunger strikes, it’s not satisfied with a simple handful of goldfish crackers or a stick of string cheese. OH no. We’re talking mini meals 6…7…8 times a day. And it could happen at any time. Like 11pm. Or 4am.

John finds this all very funny (thankfully). We’ll go to bed at 10:30 and a half hour later I get up and head over to the kitchen and I hear his incredulous question: “Again?!” Yes, again. I. Must. Eat.

Then later, at 4 in the morning, I wake up hungry. Thankfully I can get by with just a banana or an apple or something and I keep them right there next to my bed so that I can just grab something, eat it, and go back to sleep. Though there are times as I’m laying there on my side, banana in my hand next to my pillow, having taken a couple bites, that I’m so tired I fall back to sleep before finishing my banana, holding it there until my tummy wakes me up again a few minutes or so later (because I’m not really sure how long I sleep between bites) like, “um, still hungry over here!” But then I have a banana, peeled and right there next to my face! How convenient.

I know. Because then I wake up two hours later to the dulcet tones of my angry tummy saying “WHY are we wasting time sleeping?! I’m HUNGRY!” I try to tell it that sleep is more important at 6am…but my tummy wins the argument. Every time. So another banana. That takes a half hour to consume because of the in-between-bite naps.

So my tummy and I are trying to work our way through the details of this new relationship. Wish me luck ;)

No comments: