Saturday, August 24, 2013

Motherhood isn’t for Sissies

A lot is going through my mind and heart as I think about what I want to write. These last few weeks have been so very difficult, being emotionally and physically exhausting. I have been so tired. I have been sad. I have been lonely. I have been more overwhelmed than I ever thought possible. I’ve been pushed almost beyond my limits more times than I can count. But I hope that in writing this, other new moms will find comfort and empathy for what they might be going through.

For the most part, I think I had a fairly good grasp of what motherhood would be like (you know, for someone with no children). I knew it wouldn’t be all fun and games, sitting around playing with baby all day. I knew I probably wouldn’t sleep much there at the beginning. I knew that it would be hard. But only now do I realize what that truly meant. And I thought my internship at pastry school with its 10-12 hour days was demanding! This is hard!

Nathan’s sleeping has only slightly improved (if at all) and I still spend most of my nights getting up way too often and for too long. And sleep deprivation turns me into a different person. A sad, exhausted, hopeless person. Well meaning friends and acquaintances will say things like “oh, my baby is 6 months/8 months/a year old, and (s)he’s still not sleeping through the night”. While I suppose misery loves company, all I really hear is that I might have to live like this for up to another 8 1/2 months and I try not to give in to my sleep-deprived despair. 

And then there is everything else besides the sleeping! Making sure he’s getting enough to eat, getting enough playtime, enough interaction. Wondering if I’m completely messing up my child when we have a horrible nap day. Feeling like I can’t leave the apartment because it will mess up his schedule. Hearing other moms talk about how fun it is for them to be a mom or telling me to “enjoy every moment” and thinking something is wrong with me for struggling so much. Feeling awful every time I just get frustrated. Wishing that I could have more than 30 minutes to myself during the day to actually get something done, whether it be something for fun, or getting dinner on the table. Worrying about everything, from the temperature of his room at night (too hot?! too cold?!) to if he’s going to get sick after his shots at the doctor. Thinking I’ll never get out of ‘survival’ mode. Second guessing myself on well, everything.  Feeling like I’m failing. Wondering how on earth Heavenly Father could have ever trusted me enough to raise this little man.

And yet, I’m learning so much. I’m being stretched and pulled, and as a result, I’m growing. Every day is a new day. And in the midst of all the craziness, I get little rays of sunshine like this:
IMG_0624100_9681Or this:
IMG_0598IMG_0614

I’m realizing that Nathan loves me anyway, despite all my imperfections. I thought I knew what love was when I found John. But my capacity to love has increased more than I could have imagined, for both John and Nathan. And as difficult as it is for me, I’m learning to let things go a little (laundry/dinner/etc.). Because they are little things in comparison to what I can do with/for Nathan. It’s still hard, and I think it will always be hard. There will be more rough days, more sleepless nights. But sometimes as I watch my little man sleep or when I snuggle him in my arms or see his whole face light up in a smile when he sees me, I feel a sense of wonder that he’s mine. That I am a mother. That I am his mother. It is the greatest undertaking I will ever make.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

My heart goes out to you! Being a new mommy is OVERWHELMING! And sleep deprivation is SO HARD! I remember stressing about so many things (and still do) but I just had to tell myself he'll be okay. If I do my best, pray to Heavenly Father for guidance and strength then he'll be okay --no matter how much visual stimulation, talking, music-time, social interaction, sleep, routine (or lack thereof), baths, baby-massage, reading-time or whatever else I provided (or didn't provide) ---he'll be okay. Even though x research says he needs x amount of time for any and all of those things plus a million more! God will sustain you!! And in fact, with a loving and righteous mother working as hard as you do Nathan will be just perfect! One last thing... almost 10 months in to this motherhood thing I'm learning I have to take care of me. I haven't figured out how yet, I've just realized my emotional and physical health is a must in order to be the best mom and I can't keep neglecting myself. How that make that work nicely, I'm not sure (yet)! Much much much love to you and your sweet family!

mikenzie said...

I can't help but get a little teary eyed reading this, feeling those same emotions constantly.. thank you for sharing and putting it into words so much better than I could! Its such a relief to see a new mom having the same struggles and self doubt as I do daily (though I'm not glad you are having the struggles). I'm here if you ever want to chat or have a play date sometime! (Maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere?) Or just need to have a good cry, anything!