Thursday, July 10, 2014

14 Months!!

*Walking like a champ! He still walks with his hands up for balance most of the time, but can put them down periodically and carry larger items as he walks (like empty diaper boxes). Also thinks he can walk backward, but that usually ends up in a tumble. Whenever he does that, he takes these itty bitty steps. It’s quite hilarious.

*While he still loves to pull all of his books off of his bookshelf, he has started to pause mid-destruction and pick a book, sit down, and flip through the pages. It’s crazy adorable. Especially since the book is usually upside-down. Then once he’s done, he pulls more books off until he finds the next one he wants to ‘read’. Sometimes he will bring his book over to wherever I am sitting and want to sit on my lap to look at his book. It’s so sweet. Then about 10 seconds later he pops back up to find something else. IMG_2594

*My most commonly uttered phrase during the day is “Be careful!”. Closely followed by “Slow down!” and “Watch where you’re going!”.

*It is becoming quite impossible to get him to hold still during a diaper change. I’ve learned the best solution is to give him a book. Otherwise he’s trying to grab the wipes, the piece of fuzz on the floor that’s just out of arm’s reach, the dirty diaper (AH!!!), the clean diaper, you name it. 

*LOVES to “help” with the laundry. I’ve started folding clothes on the couch in the living room so that I can do it while Nathan is awake and I can keep an eye on him. He helps me by taking all the clothes off the couch and throwing them on the floor. Then when the mood strikes him, he puts a few items back on the couch for me to fold.
IMG_2542

*As Uncle Jason puts it, Little Man is a ‘heavy drinker’. ;) He loves to drink! I have to wait until he has eaten at least half of his meal before giving him his sippy cup, otherwise he’ll drink himself full, rather than eat his food. Then he’s starving 30 minutes later…

*I have tricked him into wearing his bibs again. His clothes thank me. I spent a few days strapping it in underneath the highchair straps (which meant the highchair straps got disgusting – oh well) and so he thought he couldn’t take it off any more. Then after about a week I went back to putting it on him over the highchair straps and he doesn’t really mess with it anymore. Victory for Mom!
IMG_0097

*A new favorite activity is pulling all the couch pillows onto the floor and flopping all over them. It’s so funny to watch, since he usually misses the pillows and ends up rolling around all over the floor. He squeals when he does this and it always makes me laugh. I can also get him to cuddle with a stuffed animal by holding it to my face and saying ‘awww’ and giving it to him. He then holds it to his face and flops to the floor.

*He is starting to mimic us when he can. If you stick your tongue out, he will usually do it too. My favorite is putting my arms up in the air in a victory pose and saying “Yay!”. It’s so cute when he does it (without the ‘yay!’ though).
IMG_0095

*We’ve switched to a big boy toothbrush – we’d been using a little silicone finger glove with bristles, and he’d bite us – and he hates the new one. HATES IT.

*We are communicating on a very basic level, which is pretty exciting. Still can’t get him to use baby signs, but whenever I ask him if he’s ready to eat, he runs over to the kitchen; he seems to understand the phrase ‘diaper change’ (he then runs away giggling). When he wants something he points his hand toward whatever it is he wants and when I want him to give me whatever he is holding, I can hold my hand out to him and say “Can I have that please?”, and he usually gives it to me. When we are getting ready to leave the apartment I can ask him if he’s ready to go and he usually grabs his shoes (if he can find them) and heads for the door. Pretty cool stuff.
IMG_2606

*Still loves berries. Does not like ground beef. He’s really good about trying new things though. He had his first piece of pizza this week. (What?! We are at Nana’s). Loved it. How he managed to down an entire slice 2 hours after lunch still baffles me. He’s kind of a bottomless pit. 

*Loves playing the piano. He has a little tikes one that he got for his birthday, and while he likes it fine, how can you compete with all those extra notes?! We’ve taken to just leaving the cover open all day (we started that after he pinched his fingers trying to open it) and he goes back several times during the day to play music for us. It’s lovely. ;) Ours is also electronic, which comes with lots of buttons. Toddler heaven.
IMG_2602

*He started clapping this month! He doesn’t do it very often and certainly won’t do it on demand, but when he’s really happy, he will clap. He also waves to people every once in a while.

*He just cracks us up with his fun personality! We just love you little man!
IMG_2658

No comments: