Sunday, August 17, 2014

Birthday Peach-a-palooza

So I’m trying to do a little bloggy catch up here, so hang in there with me. I’m a good 2 weeks late, but I’ve been a little busy, okay? Sheesh!

So my birthday fell on a Sunday this year and a Fast Sunday at that, so I took the opportunity to celebrate my birthday alllll weekend! ;)

Friday night I went to dinner with some girlfriends – and someone (who shall remain anonymous ;) ) ‘accidentally’ let slip to the waitress that we were celebrating my birthday, so when they brought out my milkshake, they put a candle in it and sang ;)

Saturday we spent the day together as a family – which was probably the best part of my weekend – and we went peach picking! I’ve been wanting to go peach picking all summer, so I was pretty stoked. Nathan loved it too.
100_0766100_0771

We came away with 20lbs of peaches. And oh. They were so delicious. I’ll get to that more in a bit. We also picked blackberries. These were also ridiculously tasty. Soooo tart! Nathan really wanted to help with this too, but we had a hard time keeping him from pulling off large branches of unripe berries… ;)
100_0778100_0781

We took our bounty home and then we went out for birthday dinner. (yes, again. It was my birthday and I didn’t want to cook!)

Sunday was my actual birthday and I got a big surprise – my family came up to visit! I had no idea they were coming! (Which is a feat in itself, given how often I talk to my mom) We ended up postponing our fasting to the following week and had waffles with peaches and blackberries and it was amazing. They also brought me 5 boxes of my most favorite candy EVER (that I can never find): Zours. Eeee! I may or may not have eaten them all within the week. Yum. They came with us to Sacrament meeting, and then they headed home. It was such a fun surprise!

My birthday present was a little late in coming, but John and my in-laws got me a new sewing machine! And I lurrrrve it. I’ve already made something with it, but that’s another post ;)

I spent the rest of the week after my birthday trying to use up all 20lbs of peaches before they went bad! John and I peeled most of them Saturday night using this totally awesome trick (it only took us half an hour to peel them all!) and I ended up making peach crisp, peach ice cream, peach popsicles, and peach milkshakes. (click on the dessert to go to the recipe) And it was ridiculously awesome. We got through all 20lbs in a week. Oh yeah. I’m so ready for apple season. Or grapes! Right, Mom? ;)

No comments: