Thursday, July 21, 2011

More Treats!

Or, Arizona Part 2 :)

Okay, so I’ve already forgotten we I’ve left off…so the rest of this might not be in order. Which doesn’t really matter…because my memory seems to blur it all together anyway ;)

So we checked out this nifty cake place in Gilbert called Caketini:
caketini

I don’t have any pictures of the stuff they had on display, but they had an awesome Harry Potter themed cake on the counter, with broomsticks, scarves, and the hogwarts express coming right out of the bottom tier of the cake! We ended up chatting a little with the girl at the counter and she almost offered me a job! They are opening up another location in Scottsdale and so they are hiring. But I live in Illinois. Dang. ;)

After caketini we headed over to Elizabeth’s parents’ place and made some AMAZING cookies. With the last Harry Potter movie out and all, there are all sort of Harry Potter inspired recipes out in blogland, so we tried a sugar cookie recipe with butterbeer glaze. (you can find the recipe HERE – which I highly recommend you click on after you are finished reading my eloquence ;) We didn’t have the awesome hogwarts crests to put on top, but quite honestly, I hate the taste of fondant and wouldn’t really want it on my cookie anyway. The glaze was delicious enough…and SUPER easy! Another Harry Potter party, anyone??
100_4915

They are best right after the warm glaze has been poured. Oh yum.

After that baking adventure, we went to Elizabeth’s wards’ Relief Society Activity. It was a clothing auction and exchange and it was pretty fun (though we didn’t really think the auction’s “hot items” were that cute…). We even found some things to take home. Liz found some cute things for Scott and a WAY cute black dress. I found a hodge podge of things. I’m still trying to get them to fit into my suitcase…
100_4918

I’m trying to branch out on colors that I wear. See that yellow cardigan? I never wear yellow. I’m trying to be brave. ;) And those polka dots! I’m mostly opposed to polka dots…but that jacket was so cute…

I talked to John on the phone the next day and I told him about getting some new clothes at the exchange and he says something like “why is it that every time you go on a trip, you come back with new clothes?” (which is SO not true!)

What can I say? I’m a girl. I like clothes.

We’ve also made a trip to IKEA (LOVE!!!!!!!!!!) and we were admiring all the amazing kitchens. I want an IKEA kitchen someday. Did you know that they sell convection ovens?!??! Love. Love. Love. And since I don’t have any pictures of us while we were there, you get to see some things on my wish list :)

I’m kind of obsessed with these containers. I want to fill my whole pantry with an assortment of these.
ikea--jar-with-lid__45250_PE140974_S4John and I currently share one dresser. It’s not working for me. ;) I want one for ME.
malm--drawer-chest__74489_PE191632_S4This entire kitchen would be nice. ;)
Ikea-2011-Modern-Small-Kitchen-Ideas

We also went to a cooking class today at a store called FoodWise. The food was good. The class was a sales pitch, the whole thing. And the teacher lady was a little crazy. And once she started going on about organic food and how all we eat is pesticides…well, I have some opinions on the reliability of the label “organic” so let’s say her pitch wasn’t working on me ;) The other interesting thing is that almost all of the ingredients used were some form of dehydrated or freeze-dried powder or something like that. From a food storage perspective, yeah, those are great products. But her pitch made you think you should do this everyday. For every meal. Hm. Anyway…it wasn’t our favorite, but like I said. The food was good. And the class was free ;)

Only one more full day of vacation. I can’t believe it’s gone by so fast!

2 comments:

Angie Hunt said...

Love the cookies!!! Can't wait to try them. So glad you had a good time.

Elizabeth said...

This sounds like it was such a fun trip! :o)