Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Apartment, Your Virtual Tour

Well, be prepared to be inundated with pictures. Now that the boxes are gone, I now feel like I can finally show you pictures of the apartment and what it “really” looks like ;)

So I’m going to take you on a little tour! Welcome!

This is what you would see when you walk into the front door. There’s a coat closet on the right, and our shoe rack on the left. You get a little peek into the bathroom straight ahead. (I’m not going to show you the bathroom. It’s clean! I promise! But I haven’t done anything cute to it. It’s not worth seeing. It’s hard to do cute things in a tiny bathroom…)
apt 4

When you turn to your left, you’ll see the living room, and my lovely photo wall that I did last week.apt 5Here it is up close. I love it. It took me over an hour of laying pictures all over the floor to figure out how I wanted it to look, but I’m really happy with what I ended up with.
apt 1And I made a few things specifically for the wall. Remember that scrap wood I found at IKEA in the as is section? I finally found something to do with one of them:
apt 32I think it turned out great! Now I have to figure out what I’m doing with the other piece…

I also made this canvas. I found the “I love us” idea on pinterest.
apt 33
I used a flat canvas for this one. I made this with vinyl, but I used a design I saw on a printable found HERE. I had almost decided to just order it as a print, but then tried to make it on my Make The Cut and it turned out great!
apt 34

Across from the couch and my lovely wall, you’ll see the TV and the piano. Super sad news: the piano no longer turns on. I think it has finally suffered through one too many moves. I learned to play on that piano, by the way. Which means it’s about 17 years old. I think it just finally kicked the bucket. I’m going to miss it. That piano has been to Germany and Japan, and even had half of it fall out of a car top on the Wyoming freeway when my parents were bringing it out to me in college. (That’s why it has 2x4’s as feet now…) I’m going to have to go through craigslist everyday to find a suitable replacement. *sigh*
apt 6apt 31

Once you turn around the corner behind the chair to the right, you’ll see the dining area (just ignore the crutches and random storage tubs. They haven’t found a home yet…).
apt 8

We have two bookshelves over there and for once I’m having a hard time filling them up, as evidenced by the empty shelves…and the random vase…
apt 14apt 15

Right off the dining area is my lovely kitchen! One of the big draws for me to this apartment out of all the ones we looked at was that this had the biggest kitchen. It is actually really quite spacious for an apartment kitchen, and I have room for everything!!! I hope you can understand how amazingly fabulous that is. ;)
apt 10Ahhh…look at all the cabinet and counter space!!!
apt 11I’m still using my wire rack, but now it can just be my pantry. Rather than a pantry and a cupboard for half my dishes. And you might not think so, but it really is quite organized. ;)
apt 12This is the little corner where my washer and dryer live. For those who were wondering, I really do have to pull the washer out and hook it up to my sink every time I wash clothes. It’s a little annoying, yes, but I only do laundry once a week right now, it’s not that big of a deal. It’s better than coin op! The counter here serves as a laundry supply/snack/junk food area at present…we still haven’t eaten all our candy from the road trip, we don’t usually have this much junk food lying around ;)
apt 13

We loop back around to see the bedrooms, my wire rack mostly blocks the entrance from the kitchen to the hallway so we squeeze through there every once in a while, but usually just go back around…please forgive me for the back lighting in some of these. The bedroom faces the parking lot, so we keep the blinds closed most of the time and by afternoon most of the sunlight is back in the living room…but anyway…
apt 16Without the bookshelf in the master bedroom anymore, I decided to hang these up in one of the corners. I do love that picture of us… ;)
apt 17I haven’t put any vinyl up on the walls yet but I’m getting there. I’ll probably go on a vinyl cutting spree one of these days and get everything I want up all at once ;)
apt 18A quick glimpse at the curtains I made, they are the same fabric as the grey pillow on the bed.
apt 19Here they are closed. Again, sorry about the bad lighting, not a lot of light sources in there…but they turned out really well! I used curtain grommets for the first time and I think they make the curtains look much more professional ;)
apt 27Here’s an up-close picture of some of those wall hangings ;)
apt 20

And on to my new “vanity corner” ;) I just finished it today, so I’m really excited to show you! John and I had discussed finding some little table or vanity type something to go into the corner with the floor lamp. I’ve been thinking about it and I felt like the only way we would have something that worked with the lamp would be for us to build something ourselves and I was feeling like that would be a bit too complicated and expensive right now, especially since it would just be a place for me to do my make-up. Well, I was at Target this morning after dropping off John at work and I was browsing through the home décor when I found some wall ledges (shelves). And the wheels started turning. And I came up with a plan. I grabbed two of the smallest shelves they had and got to work. And this is what I came up with:
apt 26

(yes, I know the mirror needs to be cleaned…oops…) I was already planning on making these jewelry hangings and the shelves are PERFECT for holding my make-up and perfume :) For the hangings, I simply covered two 8x10” canvases with my favorite yellow chevron fabric and hot glued it to the back. I screwed in cup hooks at the bottom – I found some cute white ones when I was at Target – and hung them up! I love being able to have an easy place to put my earrings and necklaces. And I have an idea for a little bit on vinyl to go under that top shelf. I’ll keep you posted, it’s gonna be cute!
apt 21Here is my top shelf:
apt 25An up-close of one of my hangings. It’s so nice to be able to hang up my necklaces too – no more tangled mess!
apt 22My bottom shelf holds my make-up. I found those little clear plastic containers at this random craft sale that I went to with my Aunt Michelle, and they have really come in handy. I got the big one for $0.50 and 24 of the little ones for $2. I still have to find a use for the 20 little ones I still have left over…but I’m sure I’ll find something ;)
apt 24

Right now I just sit on a folded blanket in front of the mirror to get ready for the day, but I think I might try to find a little stool or chair that I can use. I think I saw one at goodwill the other day…hmm… ;)

Anyway, the last room is the office. It’s the least put together room of the apartment, but it’s okay. We don’t spend as much time in there anyway.

This is my little crafting space, yay! It’s not too decorated in here yet, but I haven’t quite decided what I want to do…suggestions are appreciated ;)
apt 29We are sharing the corner desk now, I put the oak desk for free up on craigslist before we moved. I didn’t really think we’d have space for it…and when we moved to La Grange Park, we think that one of our friends got a hernia from helping us move it. Yikes! But I don’t think that sharing the desk has been too much of a problem. (I think…John hasn’t said anything…) We usually bring our computers out into the living room most of the time anyway. But it’s nice to have a place for all of our files and things. I like to think of this spot as the “Moffat Command Center” ;)
apt 30

And there you have it! That is our new home. We really like it so far. Granted, it certainly isn’t perfect, but it’s a good fit for us.

So. Does anyone want to come visit us now? ;)

3 comments:

Iuliana@Hip2Thrift said...

I cannot believe how much you've done already. It all looks so awesome. I am embarassed to say that even though we moved earlier than you, I still didn't unpack everything, or let alone decorate it so pretty.

Stacie said...

I love it! Your organization is inspiring. As for your craft space, one thing I have been thinking about doing at my home is putting an idea board above the desk.

I come across so many cute ideas online or in magazines that I'd love to put a picture or a swatch of fabric up on the idea board until I've figured out exactly what I want to do and when I have time to do it.

Angie Hunt said...

It looks GREAT! I love the vanity area - can't wait to come see it again!!!