Monday, January 21, 2013

A January Update

So it’s been way too long since I’ve posted the general happenings of our lives. Granted, not much happens daily to necessitate a blog post *sigh* so I guess that’s why they are few and far between.  ;)

But given it’s been a while, I now have enough schtuff to tell you. Yay!

How about…CUPCAKES?!
I have been having a fantabulous time making things with my silhouette cameo and I made some more cupcake onesie gifts. Tis the season of babies – seriously! It’s awesome though. I went to a baby shower for our Young Women’s president earlier this month and made some onesie cupcakes for her (complete with packaging/this awesome cupcake box made by my cameo):
Cupcake Gift CollageAnd since I can only fit 4 onesies, and the packages always seem to come in sets of 3 (why is that?! Why are there no sets of 4?! Oh well, I found them at Target on clearance – score!) I bought 2 sets and had a couple of extras. If they hadn’t been girl onesies, I would have just kept them, hee hee ;) but we have some more friends in Utah having a baby girl so I made little individual cupcake boxes for them, and found this SUPER ADORABLE purse toy to go with. *I may have been wishing we were having a girl for the simple reason that we could have been able to keep that little purse. SO CUTE!*
Cupcake Gift Collage 2

I’m loving my little set up: I think this is going to be my go-to baby shower gift :)

Moving. Yep. Again.
More news is that we’re moving. Again. I know. We’re crazy. (Okay, I’m crazy, but this wasn’t just my idea for once) We haven’t been too thrilled with our current apartment, especially in the last couple of months. Our bikes were stolen off our 2nd floor balcony (yes, that means some creepers climbed up to our balcony in the night) last month. I was already not feeling too safe around here anyway, and that just made it worse. And although we didn’t expect management to be able to actually do anything about it, when we emailed to just let them know we were filing a police report, we didn’t get so much as a “oh, so sorry your stuff has been stolen” back! Lame. Then when we came home from California for Christmas, we got home at about 1am New Year’s day and there were FIVE police cars in the parking lot and someone was getting dragged out of the building 2 doors down from us. I don’t even want to know how often that happens without us knowing about it. I mean, it’s not like we’re usually out in the parking lot at 1am! And then there’s the usual paper thin walls and we can hear everything (and I mean everything) that’s going on with our neighbors. And the water damage on our bedroom ceiling that maintenance just painted over. Classy. Or the people who drive their minivans around the parking lot BLASTING their super hip rap music (you know, because they are so cool). Even better.

So we are just done. After a couple of weeks of seriously stressful discussions trying to figure out our options and what we wanted, we finally found a place we both really like about 8 miles north(ish) of where we are now. We’ll be in a different city and unfortunately, a different ward. But we are very excited about our new place. It’s a brand new complex and we’ll be the first ones to live in our unit. How often does THAT happen?! We’ve been over there at night and we’re both comfortable with the area and it’s QUIET. So, so quiet. So nice. We’re really hoping this is a better match for us. So we make the move at the beginning of March. You better believe I’m counting down the days (especially when the Crazy next door starts singing…like as I’m proofreading this…).

Fort McHenry
We finally had a chance to go out and have another little adventure on Saturday. We went up to Baltimore to see Fort McHenry. (After getting lost by actually listening to our GPS – figures…) And for those of you not as familiar with American History, the battle fought here in September of 1814 is that battle the inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner. So cool! They had some exhibits at the visitor center and we learned about the war of 1812 (neither of us knew much about that particular war) and then you can go out and walk in/on/around the fort itself.

Some non-period-accurate cannons
100_8723

It was verrrrry windy and a lot colder than we expected
100_8724100_8728100_8729100_8730

Zombie Prom
This past weekend we also went to our first ever Zombie Prom. If you’ve never been to one, it’s as weird as it sounds ;) So fun though. One of our friends – who loves zombies (obviously) – did this for her birthday party. And since I have never in my life ever considered dressing up as a zombie, I had no idea how to go about doing so. So we didn’t dress up (we weren’t the only ones, thank goodness ;) and we joked with the birthday girl that we were the ‘living victims’ for the zombies present. Those who did dress up (namely the birthday girl and her husband) went ALL OUT! There was lots of pictures, but I don’t have them yet. And when I do get them…I probably won’t post them, due to the weak constitutions of some of my readers (like my mom and sister ;). We’re talking liquid latex, gory/bloody makeup, and even contacts to make eyes look cloudy. It was terrifically freaky. I haven’t had nightmares yet, but I’m pretty sure there was at least one undead person in my dreams last night. But watching them all dance around at the party was probably one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a while. Do zombies even dance?!

I made a fun tumbler gift to take to the party. The birthday girl loves hockey, so I found some fun hockey images to cut out with vinyl to stick on there, and finished it off by filling it with M&M’s. Simple, yet awesome (if I do say so myself ;)
Vinyl Tumbler Gift Collage

Misc
And apart from accidentally setting my scarf on fire while making dinner last night, that’s pretty much it. I’m fine by the way, it was just the scarf and I managed to get it off right away. We’re very thankful that I (and baby Nathan) didn’t get hurt, and my scarf is even okay too!

I’ve been trying to pack away a few things already and we’re pulling together a bunch of things that we are going to store at my parent’s place (thanks Mom and Dad!) because our storage space will significantly decrease in the new apartment. I’ve been brainstorming (aka scouring Pinterest) for nifty organization tricks to pack more stuff into a smaller space and not have it look like the place has exploded. ;)

Baby Nathan is doing great, he’s so wiggly these days, but I love it. The really funny thing is whenever he’s going crazy in there (or whatever it is that he’s doing), I’ll try to call John over so that he can feel it (because we can feel it from the outside now – so crazy!) and as soon as John gets his hand on my stomach, Nathan will stop kicking. Kinda like “What? I wasn’t doing anything!” Little stinker. ;)

No comments: