Monday, December 2, 2013

Mommy Misadventures

Naked-Baby-at-Church Edition

As we spent Thanksgiving with my parents this past weekend, we attended church at their ward. It’s a lovely ward. And if you’ve seen the Nathan at church, you’ll probably know that the fact that he’s a little man does not stop me from dressing him up. Especially on Sunday. He’s pretty stylin’ at church. This past Sunday was no different. Little Man was looking quite dapper in his button up dress shirt, sweater vest, and newsboy cap – and pants, of course.

(And I just remembered I have a picture of said outfit from about a month ago – with a bow tie even!)
Dapper Little Man 1

Adorable, right?! I know. I can’t even stand it. As he gets older, this might get dangerous. I don’t know if I could ever refuse him anything while he’s wearing such cute clothes.

Well, church was going along just swimmingly – we’d made it to Relief Society (the third and last hour) when a diaper change became necessary. I scooped Nathan up and off we went to the restroom to take care of it. I got the pants and diaper off no problem…when he decided to pee!! AH! In my effort to block the stream, I only made it worse. Using a wipe does not help, FYI. It still just drips everywhere. I should also note that he hardly ever pees without his diaper on – except right when we stick him in the bathtub. Drives me crazy! ;) *ahem* Anyway…

In case you were wondering (though you probably weren’t) in this situation boys are much harder. I’ve had parents of girls argue that girls are just as bad – because it’s ‘pressurized’ but I would counter that with the argument that at least with girls, you know what direction to expect. With boys – you have NO IDEA!

By the time he was finished, Little Man had peed on every single article of clothing he was wearing (except the hat – it got left in class), the changing table in the bathroom, the changing pad, the clean diaper I was going to use and the walls. Yep. The walls. This is with me trying to block him. Yeah. I know.

All I had with me in the restroom were the diapers, wipes, and changing pad. So after wiping everything down and getting a clean diaper on him, I pulled all of his wet clothes off.

While he laughed.

I kid you not. He laughed!! He hardly ever actually laughs. But he did while I cleaned up his mess and got his nasty clothes under control. Little stinker. ;)

But I had no replacement clothes with me. I had something in the diaper bag, but that was over in the classroom. So after I got all of his clothes into a wad, I carried my diaper-only-clad child down the hall and back to the classroom. But not before standing outside the door and just giggling at my naked baby, who was completely unperturbed by the turn of events.

After I walked in (still trying to smother my giggles) I could see heads turn and then turn again as they realized Nathan was in just a diaper. I ended up leaving him that way for the rest of church, because the heat in the building was up really high and all I had as extra was a fleece sleeper. Nathan was already really warm because he’s cutting teeth (!!!) and probably enjoyed cooling off without clothes on.

Note to self: Pack a better variety of extra clothes in the diaper bag. And maybe some paper towels.

No comments: