Saturday, December 12, 2015

Christmas Houses, Christmas Trains, Christmas Lights, Christmas Socks

Once again, I'm trying to stay on top of blogging all the fun we've been up to for Christmas. I get to the point where I have way too many pictures on my camera, and I know that it's time for a bloggy catch up post :)

So. First off, we started the month with our annual gingerbread-house-making date night. This year I managed to plan far enough ahead of time (the dough has to chill overnight) AND I made enough dough (you need a lot for one house) for both John and I to decorate our own gingerbread houses. Also, I realized that for a really cool gingerbread house, fun-shaped sprinkles are the way to go. The candy was mostly for eating ;)


In his own words, John went for the 'rustic cabin' look.

He even had a cellar door!


I think the chimney was my favorite :)

I had so much fun with the sprinkles, isn't my wreath so fun!?



Not too shabby this year, eh?

We took the boys to the train garden again this year. The volunteer fire department in our community puts this on every year, and it's free! It's basically this huge display of a miniature town and train tracks. We took Nathan last year and I think he enjoyed it even more this year. Spencer got pretty excited about it too ;)






 
We even got to see the fire trucks!


We also met up with my family down at the DC temple to see the Christmas lights and nativities. It was colder than I'd expected, so we weren't as prepared as I would have liked to be, but we scraped together some extra layers for both of the boys, so at least they stayed warm. :)


We saw this amazing Thai nativity that we'd never seen before!


Can't resist a good German nativity :)





I also finally made stockings this year. (I know, we've been married how long?) I had wanted to make some last year but I was so crazy busy and newly pregnant with Spencer (can you believe that was last year?!) and so. It didn't happen. But I got a screamin' deal on Black Friday at JoAnn's on the exact fabric I had envisioned in my head for the project, so it all worked out. I didn't really follow any one tutorial, I sort of mashed up a few that I liked and made it up as I went along. I tend to do that a lot. But I think they turned out really nice. I used batting on the inside too so they are nice and plushy. :) I cut out the monograms out of this fancy-schmancy gold cardstock I found at a consignment sale. It might have taken me TEN FREAKING TRIES (I was a little frustrated, if you couldn't tell) on my silhouette to get the blade to cut cleanly all the way through the cardstock because it was much thicker than I expected, but oh. The finished product makes it all worth it. I love them. And I found these gorgeous gold glitter reindeer stocking hangers at Target and I finally put up my German Christmas pyramid (I finally decided on top of the media center was the only safe place for it) and the final result is lovely. Nathan loves our "Christmas socks". Soon they will be jam-packed with Christmas candy! And maybe a few other surprises too. :)


Whew! I think we're all caught up on holiday fun. For now!

No comments: