Thursday, July 21, 2016

Our California Adventure

More bloggy catch up! We’re going back again to last month to our big trip to California to see John’s family. His youngest brother Joseph got back from his mission last month, so it would be the first time we’d all be together in at least 2 years! Warning: LOTS and LOTS of pictures!

The only problem was that John got really sick 2 days before we were scheduled to fly out. Nausea, lightheadedness, fever, the works. We had hoped it was a 24-bug type thing that wouldn’t last very long, but the day of our flight came and John was still pretty sick. Still hoping that he’d get better soon, we rescheduled his flight for a few days later, and I ended up flying out with the boys by myself. It was probably a good thing I didn’t have much time to stress about it, since we made the decision pretty much the day of. It was either that, or risk not getting another direct flight to CA, and I really didn’t want to do any layovers with the boys. For the most part everything went fine, though I was not impressed with the girl at the ticketing counter who just stood there and watched me struggle to get the carseats and suitcases onto the scale – I was wearing Spencer in the front and it wa really hard to life the suitcases! I also ended up being a few pounds over in one bag and exactly 50lbs with the other, so I had to carry a few extra things. Oh well. Thankfully, these two wonderful women saw me struggling and totally came over and helped me (again, while the ticketing girl just watched – what was the deal?!) get the bags and carseats all sorted out. Once that was over security wasn’t too bad and soon we were on the plane. Overall, the boys did amazingly well. Spencer even slept (even if it was just 30 minutes) and Nathan played with the fun new toys and things I’d bought for the trip. Both boys played with their quiet books a little bit, but for Nathan my biggest success was his vehicle-themed Melissa and Doug Water Wow coloring pad. He LOVED that thing! I also downloaded a movie onto my iPad that got us through the last 1/3 of the trip.

We finally made it to CA and arrived and John’s parent’s house. Yay!

We started off with hearing Joseph’s homecoming talk in church the next day and getting to see lots of John’s aunts and uncles, which was really fun, but it was such a bummer that John was not with us. He ended up at the hospital that day, still having a fever and being unable to really get anything down, he was hooked up to an IV to get him hydrated. He ended up staying the night, and we rescheduled his flight one more time. To finish this part of the story, he never actually made it out to CA at all. We were so sad he missed out on our fun. He even stayed ANOTHER night at the hospital at the end of the week because of some contaminated tests that they needed to run again. But we were grateful he was feeling better by the time we came home.

And we did have fun while we were in CA

We spent a day at the beach
IMG_0637

IMG_0638Nathan loved digging in the sand
IMG_0641IMG_0646IMG_0647IMG_0650IMG_0654IMG_0658IMG_0659IMG_0663Why yes, Spencer is chewing on a rock, why do you ask?
IMG_0676

“I eat what I want”
IMG_0677He also ate sand. And liked it. He consumed quite a bit of sand that day. His diaper afterwards was probably the most interesting diaper I have ever changed…
IMG_0679IMG_0681All worn out from our day at the beach!
IMG_0685

We spent an afternoon at a splash pad at a local park
IMG_0709IMG_0711IMG_0717IMG_0724IMG_0725IMG_0728IMG_0729

The boys loved playing with their grandparents and aunts and uncles.
IMG_0689IMG_0697IMG_0698IMG_0706

We finished off our first week in CA with a trip to California Adventure! We took the boys to Cars Land, which I was really excited about – I knew Nathan was going to love it!
IMG_0731IMG_0733Nathan was super brave and rode some of the rides. This one was a little too crazy for him at the end, but he did really well.
IMG_0738IMG_0740IMG_0741IMG_0746IMG_0748We ate at Flo’s Diner for lunch and had a perfect view of part of the car race ride. Nathan would have been happy to sit there for the rest of the day and watch the cars drive by.
IMG_0750We got to see some of our favorite characters!
IMG_0751IMG_0756IMG_0758

We also went over to the Bug’s Life area and rode the caterpillar ride, which was definitely more our speed ;) We also rode the Little Mermaid ride and Toy Story Mania. Even though Nathan knew how to fire the little launcher, he mostly just sat and watched the games. But I think he still had a good time.

We started off our second week in CA by going to the Santa Barbara Zoo. It was really nice, probably because it was a good 10 degrees cooler there. ;)

IMG_0760IMG_0765IMG_0767IMG_0772IMG_0779IMG_0782IMG_0785IMG_0786IMG_0788IMG_0790

There was also a fun little train ride that we went on at the zoo as well that Nathan really enjoyed ;)IMG_0792

We set up the pool in the backyard one day – Spencer loves playing in the water!
2016-6-28 Spencer and Nathan (1)2016-6-28 Spencer and Nathan (3)2016-6-28 Spencer and Nathan (7)Grandma drew up an awesome racetrack out of chalk for Nathan on the patio :)
2016-6-28 Spencer and Nathan (10)2016-6-28 Spencer and Nathan (12)2016-6-28 Spencer and Nathan (14)2016-6-28 Spencer and Nathan (15)

We also went to this fun train museum called Travel Town and I have misplaced the pictures – I’ll have to put them up here later when I’ve found them ;)

After our very fun two weeks, it was time to go back home. Thankfully, Grandma was coming back with us so I didn’t have to fly by myself with the boys again and got to spend some more time with us the following week! It was so nice to have an extra pair of hands with the boys on the way back!

We had a great trip! We really missed John, but it was wonderful for the boys to be able to spend more time with John’s family, it’s hard to see them often when we live on opposite ends of the country! We miss them already!

No comments: