Monday, November 29, 2010

Baby, It’s Cold…in here…

Okay, so we’re trying to cut costs and delay using our heat for as long as possible. This was John’s idea. (important – it was a good idea though…) That means our thermostat show this: (or lower)
100_2451 When it’s already 40-50 degrees outside anyway, this isn’t much of an improvement, I’m not gonna lie ;) When it was down to 60, I drew the line.

“We are NOT letting the place get below 60!! If it does, we ARE turning the heat on!!”

So that was the agreement. It finally got to 59 on Friday, but I didn’t care because we were leaving for Nauvoo in less than an hour. ;) But 60-65 is still REALLY cold!!! I made those cupcakes for the Harry Potter party, and I left out a stick of butter to soften so I could make the frosting. I pulled out the butter and we went to the Temple. Two. Hours. Later. We were home and the butter was STILL not soft enough the cream!

A few nights before, we were getting ready for bed and John found me like this:

So I’d like you to meet my new best friend:
100_2516The space heater! I convinced John that this was a good idea. We could just move it to wherever we are, and it’s MUCH cheaper than trying to heat the whole apartment. You see how the light is on? Yeah, it’s on pretty much whenever I’m home ;) Along with the heater, we’ve found other ways to keep warm. Like walking around in a blanket or snow jacket (sometimes both) or, my personal favorite, leaving the oven open once we’ve turned it off after cooking something. All that yummy heat in the kitchen…oh yes :)

Are we crazy? Probably. Given the rate that Chicago is cooling, we’re probably going to be using the heat soon. But hey, last month our gas bill was only $20, so it’s not complete insanity, right? ;)

3 comments:

Jeff and Elizabeth said...

Ashley I love you :) Hahaha I like your cold video. We are so similar. That's about how cold it is in our apartment right now too. We opted for the space heater as well. It works just smashingly!

JenJen said...

I LOVE the dance!!! It is so funny because John was not excited about the move to Chicago but you (Ashley) were. And now your the one who hates the cold more than John.

JenJen said...

I keep replaying your dance about 10 times!! You crack me up!!! ;D