Saturday, November 6, 2010

Walkin’ in a Winter Wonderland…

Okay, this cake, and the fact that it’s getting FREEZING outside makes me really excited for CHRISTMAS!!! ohboyohboyohboy!!! YAY!

Anyway, this is the second cake we did with Chef Nicholas. This was probably my favorite. It’s so CUTE!

Here is Chef’s cake:
100_2171

100_2172 100_2173
100_2174 100_2175
100_2177 100_2176

I know, adorable, right?! There was a ton of little pieces that went into this cake and yes, I did take pictures of them all, but I’ll spare you all the little details…mostly ;)

We started off by covering the hexagonally shaped cake. Complicated? Yes. I think I speak for the whole class when I say we were glad that there were so many things to put on the cake to cover up the bad spots ;) We then used a nifty crimping tool to give the top edge a new look:

100_2179Then we got to work on little pieces. We made trees, and snowballs, and animals and snowflakes and it was crazy.
100_2243We made a bas-relief snowman to put on top, and the cute purple lettering
100_2241We learned how to use stencils for royal icing…and mine did NOT turn out that great…the first time I tried it put too much icing on, so it was way too thick. So I scraped it off to try again, and then I think the stencil moved, so I have this weird blurred look…oh well… ;)
100_2242We added a nifty border along the bottom…
100_2246 100_2247And between that last picture and this one was a lot more making of the little pieces, but these pictures are getting everything put together to finish it…
LOVE THE IGLOO
100_2249Anyone home?
100_2251

More pieces…I painted that tree, by the way :)

100_2252 100_2254
100_2257 100_2258

And here is the finished product!! :)100_2272100_2262
100_2263 100_2264He might look friendly, but he’s got a snowball in his little sugary hand…
100_2265 100_2266I also love the penguin…hee hee
100_2268 100_2270100_2273100_2271         
It was a lot of fun to make :) And I certainly learned a lot about detail. I mean, I thought I was pretty good with detail, but MAN, there were so many little things we did with this cake (and all the other ones) that I would not even have considered. I guess that’s why I’m in school for this, right? :)

1 comment:

surfingdds said...

Wow! I am so amazed with everything. It's all so beautiful! Thanks for taking so many pictures and for sharing with us all the joys of pastry school.

Love and miss you,

Mom M.