(Yes, that was supposed to be sung to the tune of the backpack song from Dora
the Explorer)
So now that I’m allowed to talk about it – my brother is getting married!!!
In August! In UTAH! So if you’ve done the math, why yes, I will be flying with a
toddler and a newborn across the country for my brother’s wedding weekend. I’m
having an anxiety attack just thinking about it. However, we will be flying on
the same flight as the rest of my family, and John will be able to take a day
off to fly with us as well, so I will have plenty of help. AND both flights are
non-stop. Hallelujah!
But in preparation for our trip, I made Nathan a little toddler backpack. I
actually found a tutorial HERE
through pinterest months ago, wanting to make one for him at some point, but
this was the perfect excuse to get one done. I’m scrambling to finish all my
project to-dos by the end of June, because really, July doesn’t really exist in
terms of getting anything done.
But anyway, I actually sort of ended up making the backpack twice. The first
time I followed the pattern pretty closely, adding a few things so that it would
be a good backpack to grow into. But I realized there were a few things about
the pattern that I didn’t really like (like the placement of the straps on the
back) and I totally messed up the side pockets that I had added. I also made the
first one without stiff interfacing, and I decided I wanted something a little
sturdier that would keep its shape.
So here’s my second attempt. I was able to pick out and reuse the lining,
which saved me a lot of time the 2nd time around and I really loved the fabric
that I had used, so I really wanted to use it for the final result. Ta-da!
If you went to the tutorial site, you’ll notice I added the front zippered
pocket – it’s good to have extra space for extra cars and trains. ;)
I also added elastic pockets on both sides to hold sippy cups or water
bottles. (on my first attempt, the elastic was not anchored well enough so the
first time I stretched them out to put something in them, the elastic pulled
free. And the pocket was not longer elastic. Boo)
On the back I put the straps up at the top rather than 4” down like the
original pattern called for. When Nathan wore the first one, he had lots of
excess backpack up behind his head and didn’t really like that as much. I also
switched the way the straps fed into the strap adjusters so that the excess
strap came out the bottom – which is how a normal backpack functions. I checked
using mine. ;)
It’s fully lined and has one more little pocket on the inside!
I’m really glad I did it over again with the stiffer interfacing. I love the
way it keeps its shape so much better and it’s easier to get things in and out
of it that way. We’ve been taking it to church to carry his books and toys and
it’s been awesome so far. So excited for him to have a little backpack when we
travel!
No comments:
Post a Comment