Sunday, May 2, 2010

Good News, Bad News and a Blackout

A.K.A our graduation trip to Utah

So the good news is, I got my wallet back! Hurray! Of course, it was after we had to do all that waiting at the DMV and filing a police report, but we are VERY happy to have it back nonetheless.

More good news is that graduation was AWESOME! My first real graduation!! yay! Thankfully, my college was pretty small so convocation didn’t take so long!! After all the festivities, we went to the temple and then Tucanos for dinner to celebrate and seriously stuffed ourselves silly. Oh man, I was so full!!! We had to roll out the doors.

Waiting outside to get lined up
Here we are!

A panoramic view of ALL the people at the Marriott Center for commencement!

Yay! I did it!




At convocation, getting my diploma holder :)

Hanging out at the Cougareat

Mom really liked this Y. So we got a picture.

(pictures from after the temple coming soon - as soon as I get them off my mom's camera)

At Tucanos!!!!!! YUM YUM YUM


soooooo tasty!!!

The bad news (very bad news) is: I have another infection. A really yuky one. I’m not going to go into too much detail as to where it is, all you need to know is that I can’t sit. ‘Nuff said. It showed up on the Tuesday before we left for Utah, but by Sunday…I couldn’t move much.

So I went to the doctor and they had to cut it open and it was verrrrry yuky. We’re in Utah and no one takes my insurance (all that effort to get insurance, then no one takes it. Figures). But we found an urgent care and the doctor was SO nice and attentive and understanding and listened to our questions. I got cut open and drained and got it all taken care of. She packed it to keep it open so the pus could keep draining until it was gone. The abscess was really deep, so that whole week I had to go in every day to get it re-packed and re-dressed. And again, I get numbed up each time, but MAN that stuff BURNS like nothing else!!!!!!!!! So once that’s over, the rest is okay, because I’m numb!! (thank goodness)

So that first appointment was fine, we’re out in the lobby to check out and make another payment, and I blacked-out for the very first time in my life. Totally went into shock. It was probably one of the weirdest sensations I’ve ever experienced, and not one I’d like to repeat. All I remember was feeling a huge wave of nausea, my mom said I looked white. I think I said something like “I think I’m blacking out” and then my eyes shut. I’m pretty sure I was semi-conscious but I don’t remember all the doctors coming in after John laid me on the floor or remember hearing him say my name and try to talk to me. (Thankfully, John was standing right behind me to catch me as I went down) But after a few minutes I opened my eyes. They asked me a few questions to make sure I was mentally “there” and gave me a juice box. I have to say I felt very silly on the ground with a juice box in the middle of the urgent care lobby. But after a little bit, I was back to normal (as much as possible, anyway) and we left to get my meds.

So everyday after that I had to go in and have it looked at and thankfully, the gaping hole made progress throughout the week. We were able to see the same two doctors the whole week which was nice so that they knew what progress I was making. They were both super nice and took really good care of me. It was such a blessing.

So obviously, it was not the trip we were hoping for. The first couple of days I was on way more antibiotics than anyone should ever take (in my opinion) and by the 2nd or 3rd day I couldn’t keep anything down. My doses were adjusted and I’m doing better, but still queasy most of the time. Though for the last day and a half I’ve been able to eat almost normally. Almost.

And some random pictures:

The pig in my room at the condo. Wearing my headbands.

It totally snowed half the time we were there! (okay, we were in Park City, but it was the end of April!)
The girlies!

So while I was sick most of the time, my mom, Tish and I were able to get a few classes of Womens Conference in, did a little shopping, and had some fun. But we’ve all agreed: We’ll definitely need a do-over.

2 comments:

Those Crazy Browning's said...

Do you ever have a dull moment.

surfingdds said...

Congratulations on your graduation. Hurray for you!! I'm so glad the infection didn't get really bad until after graduation, and I'm glad you are feeling a little better. We wish you well!!

Love,

Mom M